Friday, April 25, 2014

I Have a Lot of Pages

"You have a lot of pages."
"What?"
"I said you have a lot of pages. In you."
"What do you mean by that?"
"You like to read books, right?"
"That's right."
"Yeah. I've been noticing you. You, too, are like a book having so many pages."
"Okay. Is there something written on the pages? Or are they empty?"
"No, there is a lot written on these pages. And the new pages just keep on adding up."
I looked at my friend with a look that told her I needed a bit more of elaboration about it.
"Don't worry," she said. "It's a compliment. Believe me, it is."
"Is it? Okay." I smiled and she flashed her nonchalant smile back at me without knowing how this one sentence of hers made me look into a dark pit to search for my belonging that got lost in it.
I have got a task at my hand now. I have to read this book, too. But how can I read it when it's not completed yet? How can I read this book when she says that the pages keep getting added in it?
How could she read it that easily?
I want to know what does the cover page say. I, too, need to read this book with 'a lot' of pages and never ending chapters. I wonder what would it be like to read a book with words swimming in the ocean, even without knowing how to swim. My words don't know how to swim, still they dare to venture on this oceanic journey.

I strolled away from her, alone, wondering how deep would I have to go in this dark pit, to find that belonging that got lost in it.

1 comment: